There are some occasions where nothing but a full fat rich pud will do. My favourite is millionnaire’s shortbread BUT the amount of times I have wasted my syns on shop bought ones which just didn’t hit the spot.
Surely I could make better? Apparently, I can, yes! Prepare to be impressed…
Millionnaire’s Shortbread Recipe
225g plain flour
75g caster sugar
375g unsalted butter
379g tin sweetened condensed milk
4 tablespoons golden syrup
325g plain chocolate
- Grease and line with greaseproof paper a 20cm (8 in) tin. Preheat the oven to 170 C / gas 3.
- Put the flour and sugar into a bowl and rub in 175g of butter, clumping the dough together to make a ball. Press this sandy shortbread mixture into the tin and smooth it down.
- Prick with a fork and cook for five minutes, then lower the oven to 150 C / gas mark 2, and cook for a further 30-40 minutes until pale golden and no longer doughy. Allow to cool in the tin.
- Melt the remaining 200g of butter in a large microwavable bowl, then add condensed milk and golden syrup. Whisk the mixture well until the butter is thoroughly incorporated. Heat in microwave for 7 -10 minutes until boiling, stirring thoroughly every minute. It’s ready when it’s thickened and turned a light golden brown. Pour this molten toffee over the shortbread and leave to set.
- Melt chocolate and pour over the caramel mixture and leave to cool. Once set, cut the millionaire’s shortbread into pieces. How many syns?
None for you! I’m not sharing mwah ha 😜